Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Last Charge

A whistle blew it rang, long and loud lasting forever, out over the gun fire and artillery shells. It pierced the fog of the desolate wastes and filled my heart with warmth, I felt inspired, and I yelled alongside my comrades in a cry that rang out from our sides, I heaved myself out of the trench alongside my friends, I stepped onto no man’s land, and rushed forward, gun in hand.

Beside me Jack, a guy from my town, he live next to me, he made it past the first line of barbed wire, until he fell to the ground, but I go on into the fog bullets flying by me, I hear the sickening thud, of them hitting bodies, and knowing that just one more life has been snuffed out, no longer to live in this world, no longer.

I see in front of me Mr. Artlend, the towns baker, he dives into small crater made by an artillery shell, only have another one fall into the hole, the explosion made me stumble and I fell onto the ground, but i got up again, there were very few that I could see with this fog, as if all my group was gone. But I continued one, foot after foot, i ran past craters i passed and dead soldiers, I never looked at their faces for fear I would recognized them, I look up, I see the trench, I look to my sides, no one.

My unit gone, my friends.

I hear shouts calls to stop, no, they are orders. So I raise my gun, only to fall down, and I join my unit.

No gunfire rings, no artillery shells exploded, enough souls have died today. Their bodies lost in no man’s land, forever, until their bones become dust, and they fly off into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment